Sometimes it’s the small little things you learn in Nature Academy. Modelling a new scene, I found that I often needed to set the origin of an object to a specific vertex. I always used the properties tab (N key) to do it precisely, but it took a lot of time to do so.
Then I asked the question in the forum of the Nature Academy and got an answer: in edit mode, select the vertex of your choice, hit Shift+S and select”Cursor to selected. In object mode you can then hit Ctrl+Shift+Alt+C and choose “Origin to 3D cursor” (or select the corresponging entry from the object menu).
Credits go to “Owidude”. Thank you again.
My last scene (the menhir scene) was so complex that I needed to move objects to separate layers and work on single layers only or work in bounding box mode with all layers enabled. Rendering time went up to 8 hours 20 minutes, so that I had almost no chance for preview renders (even at half resolution).
While this makes me think about buying a new PC, it also had its advantages: I started thinking about what exactly I do and whether it’s really correct for what I wanted to achieve. I was wrong often enough, but anyway, I considered it as helpful.
So here’s my challenge for you: pick a simple scene you modeled before (not as simple as the default cube). Start a new scene in Blender and model everything in bounding box mode. Render only once and consider it as final. What does your result look like?
Please upload the reference render and the challenge render and post the link to it here.
When I saw someone else using Blender today, I noticed that he has a different splash screen. This was the beginning of some changes full of consequences. So, I had version 2.57.1 installed – not too bad, but 2.58.1 is already out.
Of course I installed the new version. But when I started Blender next time, it was still the old version. This made me assume something weird is going on and I had a deeper look into all the program files folders.
I figured out that I accidentally had two different versions of Blender installed: the 32 bit version and the 64 bit version, but the link I had in my favorites was the 32 bit link. This could explain why I had those out of memory problems and increasing the virtual memory to 16 GB did not help.
You can distinguish a 32 bit version from a 64 bit version in task manager: the 32 bit version has a *32 suffix as shown in the screen shot:
32 vs. 64 Bit